Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
Through the Cisco Network Academy programme, students learn the information and develop the skills needed to prepare them for the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) professional examination. This certification positions them for either immediate vacancies in the IT industry or for additional studies. The Cisco Network Academy Programme is a complete programme, divided into four semesters, on the principles and practice of designing, building and maintaining networks capable of supporting national and global organisations. Cisco provides the coursework for a complete range of basic through advanced network concepts.
The curriculum is provided online, and available to all students who become part of the 'student community', a sophisticated e-learning environment; however, the course is not provided on a distance learning basis, classroom attendance is required.
The course is offered over two years with two semesters per year, on a part-time basis (four semesters in total). Students who successfully complete the four Cisco semesters, will be given the option of taking the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) examination.
In the second semester, students will learn and develop practical skills in routing and switching essentials.
Semester 1. Routing and switching essentials.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Determine how a router will forward traffic based on the contents of a routing table
- Explain how switching operates in a small to medium-sized business network
- Configure monitoring tools available for small to medium-sized business networks
- Configure initial settings on a network device
- Configure Ethernet switch ports
- Implement VLANs
- Implement static routing
- Implement DHCP on a router
- Implement network address translation (NAT)
- Implement access control lists (ACLs) to filter traffic
There are no formal entry requirements for this course but students are required to:
- Demonstrate IT skills appropriate to the demands of the course
- Demonstrate the ability to work at level 2 in English
- Demonstrate the ability to read and synthesise technical information and follow technical instructions.
- Satisfactory interview and assessment.
You will receive guidance and support during the Induction Programme to help you decide on the right choice of any additional studies.
Progression to Semester 2 of the CISCO course and eventually to the CCNA exam.
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
If you are aged 19 or over:
There are no discounts available for this course
Did you know that many of our courses are free for students aged 19 and above?
Find out if you are eligible for free funding here, or contact our student service team on 0151 551 7777.
If you are required to pay a fee you may be entitled to an Adult Learner Loan or other financial support. For more information on support available visit Bursaries and Loans. We also allow payment by instalments for some courses.
Fee : £360.00
The fee quoted is for the academic year 22/23.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form