Or Application Form & Reference Form to be returned to Student Services
If you are interested in this course after September, please contact the Student Advisers on 551 7777.
This course provides you with an introduction to the hairdressing and beauty therapy industry as well as developing your skills in personal and social development.
You will be taught a range of skills and techniques across the hair & beauty sector, which will allow you to assist others in the salon. Part of your week will be spent working in the College Salons learning basic hair and beauty skills and assisting the Level 1, 2 and 3 students.
This course will help you to improve your maths & English, plus develop the personal and social skills which employers look for.
- Shampooing and conditioning
- Styling women's hair
- Hair plaiting and braiding
- Health and Safety
- Hand care
- Skin care
During your course there may be opportunities for you to attend National shows and exhibitions.
- This is a study programme for students that are 16-18 years.
- No formal qualifications are required.
- A genuine interest in Hairdressing/Beauty Therapy and an ability to communicate 1:1 with clients.
- You must be prepared to give and receive treatments to/from other students on your course.
- Ability to complete hairdressing skills such as sectioning hair, plaiting, setting hair, etc.
- Satisfactory interview, assessment and reference or school report.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
To learn effectively on your course you will need to use certain items of
equipment to undertake particular activities as part of your studies. These will
be yours to keep and you will be able to use them for practice at home and in
your future career.
Equipment / Uniform required for this course:
- Basic Kit £144.07
- Uniform £45
- Record of Achievement Book £20
NB prices correct as of 23rd June 2021
If you need support with these costs, don't worry. Click on the link below and complete a bursary application form: https://www.wmc.ac.uk/student-support/financial-support/bursaries-loans
You will be assessed in practical & theory by your tutor.
An interview for all candidates will be arranged with a member of the teaching team where you will have an opportunity to discuss the course and your individual needs.
Students may be able to fast track to level 1, dependent on progress.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as VTCT Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C in English and maths (grade 4 or above)
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
This profession and course require you to be able to carry out physical work for long periods of time. Reasonable adjustments will be made to accommodate disabilities.
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme is free for students, who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, and students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Did you know that many of our courses are free for students aged 19 and above?
Find out if you are eligible for free funding here, or contact our student service team on 0151 551 7777.
If you are required to pay a fee you may be entitled to an Adult Learner Loan or other financial support. For more information on support available visit Bursaries and Loans. We also allow payment by instalments for some courses.
Fee : £450.00
The fee quoted is for the academic year 23/24.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form