Or Contact Student Services to book a place
The General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety (NGC) is designed for managers, supervisors and workers in any type of organisation who need a broad understanding of health and safety issues to be able to manage day-to-day risks effectively. Many people take NGC as a first step in a career in health and safety. It gives a valuable overview, and is a sound basis for further professional study.
Unit NG1 addresses health and safety management and must be combined with the Unit NG2 risk assessment to gain the full NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety. A Certificate award parchment is issued on completion of both units.
On completion of the full qualification, you will be able to:
- justify the need for health and safety improvements
- advise on duties under the main pieces of UK health and safety legislation
- help your organisation to manage contractors
- work within a health and safety management system
- positively influence health and safety culture and behaviour
- carry out a general risk assessment (using a 5-step approach) of your workplace
- recognise workplace changes and their impacts and understand how to minimise these impacts
- develop basic safe systems of work that include emergency arrangements and know when to use a permit-to-work system
- take part in incident investigations
- check the effectiveness of the health and safety management system through monitoring, auditing and review
Unit NG1 covers the following health and safety issues:
- Managing health and safety
- Health and safety management systems
- Managing risk
- Monitoring and measuring health and safety performance
No formal qualifications required.
Ideally you should have at least two years experience in any area of work and have a level 2 English qualification or equivalent.
The standard of English required by the candidates studying for this award must be such that they can both understand and articulate the concepts contained in the syllabus. If English is not your first language you should be qualified to IELTS 6.0 or higher. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Unit NG1 is assessed by an on-line Open Book Exam (OBE) and marked by external examiners appointed by NEBOSH.
Unit NG1 must be combined with Unit NG2 to gain the full NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety. A Certificate award parchment is issued on completion of both units.
Book a Place
Starting 30th March 2023 - Ending - 29th June 2023
You can also apply for this course to start in September 2023 - click apply and select 'September 23 start'
If you are aged 19 or over:
There are no discounts available for this course
Did you know that many of our courses are free for students aged 19 and above?
Find out if you are eligible for free funding here, or contact our student service team on 0151 551 7777.
If you are required to pay a fee you may be entitled to an Adult Learner Loan or other financial support. For more information on support available visit Bursaries and Loans. We also allow payment by instalments for some courses.
Fee : £575.00
The fee quoted is for the academic year 22/23.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form