Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
This practical, work-related course will provide you with a solid foundation in various aspects of medical science, biology and physics. This course is one of the recommended pathways for those seeking a career in nursing.
The course is made up of 9 units. Core units include:
- Fundamentals of Science
- Working in the Science Industry
- Scientific Investigations
- Scientific Practical Techniques
- Using Mathematical Tools in Science (half unit)
Optional units (chosen from the list below to meet the needs of the majority of learners)
- Mathematical Calculations for Science (half unit)
- Using Statistics in Science (half unit)
- Using Science in the Workplace
- Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Physiology of Human Regulation and Reproduction
- Biochemistry and Biochemical Techniques
- Energy Changes, Sources and Applications
- Microbiological Techniques
- Chemistry for Biology Technicians
- Electrical Circuits and their Industrial Applications
- Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Practical Chemical Analysis
- Medical Physics Techniques
- Biomedical Science Techniques
- Chemical Laboratory Techniques
- Physiological Investigations
- Diseases and Infections
Priority will be given to applicants who are aged 16-18 years old.
4 GCSEs at grade 9-4 (A*-C), including English Language, Maths and two Science GCSEs.
Relevant Level 2 qualification at merit or distinction and English Language and Maths at grade 9-4 (A*-C).
Satisfactory interview, assessment and school report or reference.
To learn effectively on your course you will need to use certain items of equipment and undertake particular activities as part of your studies. To further enhance your learning experience the following will be required: Personal Protective Equipment £20 Educational Visits £60 If you need support with these costs, don't worry, click on the link below and complete a bursary application form. https://www.wmc.ac.uk/student-support/financial-support/bursaries-loans Equipment purchased will be yours to keep and you will be able to use them for practice at home and in your future career. N.B. prices correct as of 23/06/2021
Assessment is mainly by assignment.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C (or Grade 4 or above) in English and maths
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
- BTEC Applied Science Extended Diploma.
- Entry into laboratory, technical, scientific or other employment
- Progression to an advanced apprenticeship or higher level apprenticeship in a medical or laboratory environment If the Extended Diploma in Applied Science is completed then:
- Entry to university study for a degree in, for example, biomedical science biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, biology, education, nursing, zoology or radiography
- Entry to Wirral Metropolitan College's HNC or HND Diplomas in Applied Biology / Foundation Degree in Chemistry
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
You could progress to these Wirral Met courses:
|Monday||09:00 — 14:00||12 Quays Main Building|
|Tuesday||09:00 — 12:00||12 Quays Main Building|
|Wednesday||09:00 — 15:00||12 Quays Main Building|
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme is free for students, who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, and students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
If you are aged 19+ and living in the Liverpool City Region (inc Wirral), many courses will be free. If you are aged 19+ and live outside the Liverpool City Region, this course may be free. Terms & conditions apply.
If you are aged 19+, you may be able to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learner Loan (which is available for this course).
Did you know that many of our courses are free for students aged 19 and above?
Find out if you are eligible for free funding here, or contact our student service team on 0151 551 7777.
If you are required to pay a fee you may be entitled to an Adult Learner Loan or other financial support. For more information on support available visit Bursaries and Loans. We also allow payment by instalments for some courses.
Fee : £4200.00
This is a full level 3 course
The fee quoted is for the academic year 22/23.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form