Or Application Form to be returned to Student Services
If you like working with children then this is the course for you!
In the UK, the pre-primary education industry is estimated to be worth approximately £4.3bn growing steadly year on year meaning that skilled, caring and qualified professionals are in demand.
The T Level Education and Childcare qualification will equip you with the skills, knowledge and industry experience to start your journey in this rewarding sector.
Equivalent to three A levels, this two year technical qualification has been designed in collaboration with employers and businesses so you can rest assured that the skills you develop are relevant and in demand.
The course combines hands on learning, academic study and a minimum 21 weeks Early Years industry placement. It also gives you the opportunity to specialise as an Early Years Educator.
Source: IBISWorld March 2021
On this course you will develop a general understanding of the education and childcare sector:
- child development
- how to support children and young people's education
- safeguarding, health and safety and wellbeing
- understanding and managing behaviour
- observing and assessing children and young people
- equality and diversity
- special educational needs and disability
- English as an additional language
- working with parents, carers and wider families
- working with agencies and services that support children, families and carers
- reflective practice and other forms of professional development
You will specialise as an Early Years Educator learning how to:
- Support and promote children's play, development and early education
- Develop relationships with children to facilitate their development
- Plan, provide and review care, play and educational opportunities to enable children to progress
- Safeguard and promote the health, safety and wellbeing of children
- Work in partnership with colleagues, parents, carers and other professionals to support children's development
You will also complete an Early Years industry placement with an external employer (750 hours).
This is a Study Programme for those aged 16-18 years of age.
Minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade 9 - 4/A*-C, including English Language and Maths.
Applicants should be ready to complete a work placement
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
Students will require access to a laptop, this can be provided by college if needed.
A placement uniform will be provided.
Two written examinations, an employer-set project and synoptic assignments. Students are required to complete and pass all components including their placement to achieve their qualification.
A key component of this course is an extended work experience placement, totalling 750 hours over the two year programme. Wirral Met have excellent links with employers within the early years and education sector and will work with you to find the right placement for you.
You will be required to have a DBS check that meets your industry setting requirements.
Wirral Met also offer an employability package as part of this course where you will have the opportunity to develop the knowledge, understanding and essential skills employers look for in employees. These range from skills such as team working, independent learning and problem solving, to learning about:
- appropriate workplace behaviour and dress
- appropriate interpersonal skills
- communicating with professional colleagues/peers and/or hierarchical seniors
- supporting other aspiring employees
- personal manners
- understanding work practices and how different roles and departments function within an organisation
Students who achieve this qualification can progress either on to a university course such as the BA Hons Early Years, a higher level apprenticeship, or enter into the following job roles in line with their Early Years Educator specialism:
- Nursery Worker
- Early Years Educator
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
You could progress to these Wirral Met courses:
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme is free for students, who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, and students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Did you know that many of our courses are free for students aged 19 and above?
Find out if you are eligible for free funding here, or contact our student service team on 0151 551 7777.
If you are required to pay a fee you may be entitled to an Adult Learner Loan or other financial support. For more information on support available visit Bursaries and Loans. We also allow payment by instalments for some courses.
The fee quoted is for the academic year 23/24.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services via our online enquiry form