Horticultural trades workers intensively cultivate vegetables, plants, fruit, shrubs, trees and flowers in greenhouses, market gardens, nurseries and orchards.
- Prepares soil in field, bed or pot by hand or machine
- Mixes soil, composts, fertilisers and/or organic matter and spreads fertiliser and manure
- Sows seeds and bulbs and transplants seedlings
- Propagates plants by taking cuttings and by grafting and budding, applies weed-killer, fungicide and insecticide to control pests and diseases
- Prunes and thins trees and shrubs
- Supports trees by staking and wiring.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. NVQs/SVQs in Horticulture are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3. Professional qualifications from the Royal Horticultural Society are also available.