Chefs plan menus and prepare, or oversee the preparation of food in hotels, restaurants, clubs, private households and other establishments.
- Requisitions or purchases and examines foodstuffs from suppliers to ensure quality
- Plans menus, prepares, seasons and cooks foodstuffs or oversees their preparation and monitors the quality of finished dishes
- Supervises, organises and instructs kitchen staff and manages the whole kitchen or an area of the kitchen
- Ensures relevant hygiene and health and safety standards are maintained within the kitchen
- Plans and co-ordinates kitchen work such as fetching, clearing and cleaning of equipment and utensils.
There are no formal academic requirements. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs, BTEC Certificates and Diplomas and foundation degrees are available. Apprenticeships leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 are also available. Courses are also run by private cookery schools.