After three weeks without a game the men’s football development 2nd team had a tricky looking fixture away at Gateacre.The lads came flying out the traps and looked right up for the game from the off putting the home team’s defence under severe pressure, with Rogers, Wood and Temple all going close with strikes.


The pressure eventually told around the 20 minute mark when Callum Jones won the ball on the half way line and played an inch perfect ball over the Gateacre defence which Kieran Wood controlled superbly bursting through on goal and smashing the ball past the advancing goalkeeper 1-0 to Wirral.

The lads continued to control the game and started to knock the ball around playing some neat football cutting the Gateacre defence apart, but on 35 minutes the team was punished for not converting their chances when a mistake in the defence gifted the home side a way back into the game.

For the next 10 minutes the goal seemed to rattle the lads and Gateacre grew in confidence and started to put Cullens goal under pressure, but Cullen was not to be beaten for a second time as he pulled off a number of excellent saves to keep the score even before the break.

Half Time 1-1.

Around the 60th minute mark the lads had their goalkeeper Cullen to thank again as he pulled off a top draw save to deny the Gateacre number 9.

A change of formation for Wirral gained them a foothold in the game as they came close with strikes from Wood and Brown.

A blow for the lads on the 70th minute when a miss judged tackle by Carter resulted in a 2nd yellow card for the midfielder and he was given his marching orders, Wirral down to ten.

In the closing ten minutes the game opened up with both teams throwing everything at it to try and win the game. The Wirral back four were outstanding in particular Sean Boyd and Ryan Topman winning everything that came their way, along with

With only minutes left on the clock Kieran Wood received the ball with his back to goal turned and ran at the Gateacre defence beating three men before firing a shot that looked to be heading for the far corner only for the home sides goalkeeper to pull off a great save low down.

Full time 1-1

A superb team performance showing great character to not only stay in the game with the numerical disadvantage but to still look like taking all three points.

Hopefully the start of a good run of form which can continue when we visit league leaders St Margaret’s.

Goal Scorer: Kieran Wood

Man of the Match: Sean Boyd



invest in people standard Matrix logo   Disability Confident Employer logo European Union, European Social Fund logo Education and Skills Funding Agency logoCollege of Sanctuary logo 01Liverpool City Region and Metro Mayor Liverpool City Region logoFEC purple logo 450x284